Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-20 15:36:11
Lists: pgsql-www

2011/5/20 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 14:15 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>
> <snip heavily>
>> Comments?
>
> I won't object in general (since I'm not maintaining pgfoundry ;) ), but
> the only positive thing about PGFoundry from my perspective (as a user
> and packager) is that it is a "PostgreSQL community hosted website",
> where people can find some 3rd party software, like pgpool, skytools,
> and other stuff. It is no different than hosting yum repo and pgxn in
> the community infrastructure, which is fine.

We can make better use of the software catalog on the main website for
this purpose.

> When we shut it down, all projects will all go somewhere else, and that
> somewhere else might sound reliable to the people outside the community.
> That is the only concern of me. Getting rid of CVS is fine, and they can
> move their projects to git.postgresql.org, which would be excellent.
> Still, is there a simple way that PostgreSQL infrastructure team can
> provide hosting are for tarballs for ex-pgfoundry projects?

I think we'd want to try to avoid doing that as it would require
policing to ensure inappropriate content wasn't uploaded. That is less
of an issue now, as the requirements to upload a package to pgFoundry
are high enough that people aren't really bothering to use it for
inappropriate purposes. That may not be the case if we introduce a
simple way to add files to the mirror network.

Plus, people can always use SourceForge for distribution.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company