Re: Sharing data between databases

From: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sharing data between databases
Date: 2011-05-12 04:04:41
Lists: pgsql-general

> or carefully structure your dblink joins so they can perform efficiently,
> possibly using temp tables as a sort of materialized view.

According to the documents unless you are writing procedural code with
cursors when you touch the dblink view it will pull the entire
table/recordset over.

> thats really all that the fancier database engines do behind the scenes...
> and even then, distributed joins can be painful.

I am not sure what they do but I have done this kind of thing in SQL
server without any problems and with almost no performance penalty if
the two databases were on the same instance.