Re: Is there any problem with pg_notify and memory consumption?

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Per-Olov Esgard <Per-Olov(dot)Esgard(at)micronic-mydata(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there any problem with pg_notify and memory consumption?
Date: 2011-05-26 16:36:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Per-Olov Esgard
<Per-Olov(dot)Esgard(at)micronic-mydata(dot)com> wrote:
> This is a silly and simple example but it works. The size of the payload is
> approximately the same as the one in my real system.
>
> It is easy to see the difference when using/not using the notify by just
> comment out the pg_notify call below.
>
> The client code is a small perl program which goes on forever and just
> updates a property in one row of the table.

I've been running your script on 9.0 and 9.1beta for about 5 minutes
now. I did see one tiny uptick in memory consumption but nothing
that I'd characterize 'runaway growth'. How fast growth are you
seeing? Is there anything else noteworthy going on?

merlin