Re: planinstr, showing planner time on EXPLAIN

From: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: planinstr, showing planner time on EXPLAIN
Date: 2011-06-17 01:10:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Yesterday on PGXN I just released the first version of planinstr, a
>> plugin module to append planner time to EXPLAIN. I post this here
>> since it is mostly for developers.
>
> Wow, that is awesome.  I sorta wish we had something like that in core
> -- and I don't even think it should be optional, I think it should
> just always give you that additional piece of information.

Thanks for a positive feedback. Current design passes instrument time
as global variable from planner to executor. To get it in core we need
to add a field to the planner for that, which I don't think is too
difficult. Anyway I still like its way as it doesn't need any change
in core; free for anyone to use, even in the older versions.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada