Re: Windows build issues

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows build issues
Date: 2011-04-07 20:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tor, 2011-04-07 at 09:26 +0100, Dave Page wrote:

>> > When you install VC Express 2008 the SDK is installed with it. A separate
>> > install is not required, as it was with VCE 2005.
>>
>> Oh nice :-)
>
> Well, it's good that you guys are almost as confused as I am. :)
>
> Evidently, VC Express 2008 is good by itself, without the separate SDK
> download.
>
> The documentation also appears to imply that the SDK without VC Express
> would be enough.  I can't quite fathom how that would work, because the
> vcbuild.exe is supplied by VC Express.  Then again, the SDK installation
> offers to install a C++ compiler, but I don't know where it put that.

It sure would be nice if someone would write a doc patch, or at least
a wiki page, explaining all the permutations here... I get the
impression it's not that hard to set up if you are reasonable
comfortable working in a Windows environment, but it's pretty
intimidating if you aren't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company