gdb with postgres

From: HuangQi <huangqiyx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: gdb with postgres
Date: 2011-06-06 07:43:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I was using gdb to debug postgres. In order to debug the backend of
running query, I start postgres first and use "select * from
pg_backend_pid()" to ask for backend pid. Then I start gdb in another bash
window with "gdb postgres" and attach the pid obtained above and set the
breakpoint. Then I run the query from the first window. However, the
debugging precess which is shown below is not going to the breakpoint. I
tried many different breakpoints, but it always start from the 305
client_read_ended().

GNU gdb 6.6
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.10"...
(gdb) b qp_add_paths_to_joinrel
Breakpoint 1 at 0x1a6744: file joinpath.c, line 67.
(gdb) attach 23903
Attaching to program `/usrlocal/pgsql/bin/postgres', process 23903
Retry #1:
Retry #2:
Retry #3:
Retry #4:
[New LWP 1]
0xff0cbaa4 in _rt_boot () from /usr/lib/ld.so.1
(gdb) n
Single stepping until exit from function _rt_boot,
which has no line number information.
secure_read (port=0x4a7760, ptr=0x455948, len=8192) at be-secure.c:305
305 client_read_ended();
(gdb) n
pq_recvbuf () at pqcomm.c:767
767 if (r < 0)
(gdb) n
769 if (errno == EINTR)
(gdb) n
782 if (r == 0)
(gdb) n
788 return EOF;
(gdb) n
791 PqRecvLength += r;
(gdb)

Any one know what is going wrong? BTW, as you can see, the system is
solaris.

--
Best Regards
Huang Qi Victor