Re: pg_dump --binary-upgrade vs. ALTER TYPE ... DROP ATTRIBUTE

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump --binary-upgrade vs. ALTER TYPE ... DROP ATTRIBUTE
Date: 2011-04-14 03:01:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> Implemented as attached.  The first patch just adds the ALTER TABLE subcommands
> to attach and detach a table from a composite type.  A few open questions
> concerning typed tables will probably yield minor changes to these subcommands.
> I implemented them to be agnostic toward the outcome of those decisions.

I suppose one issue is whether anyone would care to bikeshed on the
proposed syntax. Any takers?

I think you only need an AccessShareLock on InheritsRelationId, since
you are only selecting from it.

If we adopt the elsewhere-proposed approach of forbidding the use of
rowtypes to create typed tables, the circularity-checking logic here
can become simpler. I think it's not actually water-tight right now:

rhaas=# create table a (x int);
CREATE TABLE
rhaas=# create table b of a;
CREATE TABLE
rhaas=# create table c () inherits (b);
CREATE TABLE
rhaas=# create table d of c;
CREATE TABLE
rhaas=# alter table a of d;
ALTER TABLE

pg_dump is not happy with this situation.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company