Time to put theory to the test?

From: J Sisson <sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Time to put theory to the test?
Date: 2011-04-25 19:30:59
Lists: pgsql-performance
Not sure if this is the right list...but:

Disclaimer:  I realize this is comparing apples to oranges.  I'm not
trying to start a database flame-war.  I just want to say thanks to
the PostgreSQL developers who make my life easier.

I manage thousands of databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and MySQL),
and this past weekend we had a massive power surge that knocked out
two APC cabinets.  Quite a few machines rebooted (and management is
taking a new look at the request for newer power cabinets heh).
Talking theory is one thing, predicting results is another...and yet
the only thing that counts is "what happens when 'worst-case-scenario'
becomes reality?"

Long story short, every single PostgreSQL machine survived the failure
with *zero* data corruption.  I had a few issues with SQL Server
machines, and virtually every MySQL machine has required data cleanup
and table scans and tweaks to get it back to "production" status.

I was really impressed...you guys do amazing work.  Thank you.

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Robert HaasDate: 2011-04-25 23:44:05