Re: Planning for 1.14 Beta 1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planning for 1.14 Beta 1
Date: 2011-04-05 09:01:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hmm, nights help you remember some stuff. So, just to let you know the
> things we don't support yet:
>
> * 7.4: operator class (the properties dialog only)
>
> * 8.3: operator family (the properties dialog only)

We intentionally never wrote those as they would take more work than
at the time we could justify. For completeness they would be nice to
have, but they're certainly not a show stopper.

> * 9.1:
>  * per column collation support
>  * security label
>  * hostname/host suffixes in pg_hba.conf
>
> Operator class and operator family are not showstoppers, at least to me.
> I would love to have them, but they are definitely not a priority.

Oh, yeah. That's what I get for replying as I read :-p

> The security label feature isn't hard to implement. I previously thought
> we would need to add yet another tab, which bores me to death, but I had
> another idea while working on the dialogs. Security label behaves more
> or less like comments, so I intend to add support just like support for
> comments was done. It should be a quick patch to write.

OK.

> I'm not sure about the host-name/suffix stuff. There is a bug to fix in
> the pg_hba.conf editor, could be part of it.

OK.

> I still didn't work on the "per column collation support" because Tom
> was working really hard on fixing/implementing it. But I think we need
> that one before beta1. Maybe the only showstopper right now.

I certainly think we should aim to include that - it's probably going
to be more popular than security labels.

> So, here are the stuff I can do quickly:
> * finish the work on the dialogs (probably thursday)
> * add the security label support (friday)
>
> The two of them and my two latest patches not yet commited could be
> available at the end of the week.

Sounds good.

> And, unless someone works on it, I can start the work on the "per column
> collation" patch, starting next week. It doesn't feel to be a hard patch
> to write, even if it touches many objects.

I suspect not. Anyway - that's great, thanks. It looks like we're
shooting for a release of beta 1 on the 18th, which means I'll need to
be able to wrap beta 1 first thing in the morning on Friday 15th.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company