Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jonathan Corbet <corbet(at)lwn(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
Date: 2011-06-27 15:57:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet(at)lwn(dot)net> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:42:04 -0400
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> As for annotating the commit messages, I think something like:
>>
>> Reporter: Sam Jones
>> Author: Beverly Smith
>> Author: Jim Davids
>> Reviewer: Fred Block
>> Reviewer: Pauline Andrews
>
> Can I just toss in one little note from the sidelines?  Various other
> projects (Linux kernel at the top of the list) have adopted tags like
> Reported-by and Reviewed-by for metadata like this.  (Authorship lives in
> git itself, with additional authors sometimes ambiguously indicated with
> additional Signed-off-by lines).  There are tools out there which make use
> of those tags now.  It would seem that, in the absence of a reason to make
> up your own tags, it might make sense to be consistent with other projects?

I'm not averse to inventing our own tags that fit our particular
needs, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to maximize the
intersection of what we do with what other people do.

I think the biggest difference is probably that we (or at least I)
don't really like the idea of Signed-off-by, and certainly not as a
way of ambiguously indicating additional authors. Many patches are
collaborative efforts, and the metadata should make that clear.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company