Re: OK to put temp tablespace on volatile storage or to omit it from backups?

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK to put temp tablespace on volatile storage or to omit it from backups?
Date: 2013-05-01 16:13:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 30, 2013, at 8:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Appears to be sheer blather, or at least not tempered by any thoughts
> of whether it'd work in special cases.

As the author of that blog post, I'd go with option (b). :) And that lack of tempering was actually the point.

The point there was that having the tablespace directories disappear shouldn't be considered a normal operational model. (Like, for example, putting a tablespace in a RAM disk.) There's no question that you can patch the database back together if the underlying storage of a tablespace disappears, but that should be thought of as disaster recovery, not as a "oh, third time this week" operation.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com