Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
Date: 2008-11-13 09:41:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg,

> You need to get one of the experimental builds that include slotted
> support. Take a look at
> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/postgresql/wiki/ExperimentalFAQ and the
> page linked to by the blog article you mentioned at
> http://dev-zero.ch/blog/archives/6-PostgreSQL-Status.html

Thank you.
I have SSH root access to this system over internet only and no experiences
on Linux.
Person who installed this server has left the company.
So I think it is not possible/reasonable to try change OS in this server.

> You really should consider just installing your own PostgreSQL from source
> rather than fooling with the official pacakges. I would wager it will
> take you less time to figure out how to do that than to fight these
> experimental packages into submission.

Where to get ready binaries which can be copied and ran in Gentoo ?
Is there any how-to pages or tips about compiling PostgreSql from source in
this Gentoo ?

Andrus.