Re: results from a opinion form

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres-PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: results from a opinion form
Date: 2002-06-17 22:08:13
Lists: pgsql-php

on 6/17/02 12:26 PM, angelo(dot)rigo(at)globo(dot)com purportedly said:

> I am working on a web form for, where i have 12 fields asking to enumerate
> to 5 to 1 to avaliate the weigth that feature have to people choose my
> company.
> I have choosed the data type to be a smallint on postgresql and a input
> type text on html (php).
>
> And still i have 5 fields to indicate wich media the people have contact
> and helps or not wich i decide to be char on postgresql and input type
> checkbox
> on php where true is 1.
>
> How can i count take statistics and print in a php page from this form
> i try the following:
> SELECT count(metodo) FROM pesquisa where serie= 'a' || 'A' having '5'"
>
> thios give me the error;
> Warning: PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: WHERE clause must return type bool,
> not type unknown in /var/www/html/pesquisa/mnivela_teste.php on line 21
> ERROR

If you are using '||' as a logical OR, that is incorrect. || is the
concatenation operator in Postgres. You probably want serie = 'a' OR serie =
'A'. Your "having" clause is probably also incorrect, since it doesn't
reference anything.

Let's say that you have a table "votes" with question fields "field1",
"field2", etc., with corresponding value fields "value1", "value2", etc. If
you want to know how many of the rows in "votes" with "field1" = 'A' has a
value of 5, you would have the following SQL:

SELECT count( field1 ) FROM votes WHERE field1 = 'A' AND value1 = 5

If you want counts for all values for field1 (more efficient):

SELECT count( value1 ) FROM votes WHERE field1 = 'A'
GROUP BY value1 ORDER BY value1

Without your table schema, I can't recommend any further.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.