Blank SQL insert statements

From: "Ashley (at) Turton" <ashley(at)turton(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Blank SQL insert statements
Date: 2001-10-17 08:24:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I am developing a system to take a generic data structure and store it in a
PostgreSQL database. The data structure contains several entries of the
following:

insert a record into table1
field1 value1
field2 value2

insert a record into table2
field1 value1
field2 value2

Data for different tables is stored in each 'data set'. When I get this to
the database I want to:

insert a blank record into tablex
populate fieldx of new record with valuex

I could implement this with some if statements based on the table name, then
INSERT INTO x (...) VALUES (...), but I would prefer to kept the structure
as generic as possible. Is it possible in PostgreSQL to construct a blank
record without specifying a list of fields and values in an INSERT statement
(so I can perform a collection for UPDATEs to populate the blank record)?

Ashley