initdb and login after

From: alex(at)icctools(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb and login after
Date: 2004-03-19 20:33:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Ive been having a weird problem recently. Ive been using initdb to
initialize a new postgres, but the as soon as i try and log in, i keep
on getting and "no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet"
error. Should this not be ok? I should be able to log in as the user
that inited the db and no pass so i can create new users and password
right? What am i doing wrong? this used to work fine!

thanks!

--
Alexander Cohen
http://www.toomuchspace.com