Oracle 'connect by prior' now eaiser in 7.3?

From: "Merrall, Graeme" <gmerrall(at)team(dot)aol7(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Oracle 'connect by prior' now eaiser in 7.3?
Date: 2003-09-23 02:41:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'll start by admitting that I've not looked at it myself yet but I'm
just wondering if any others have looked at this yet. A while ago we
migrated a complex web-app from Oracle to postgres. It went very well
when it came to replace 'connect by prior'. Because we were time poor
we couldn't spend much time looking the best way to emulate this in
postgres and the stored procs seemed complex. One look at the OpenACS
information sent me screaming for the hills :)

Given a table of
PARENT_NODE_ID NOT NULL NUMBER
CHILD_NODE_ID NOT NULL NUMBER
ORDINAL NUMBER

And Oracle SQL of
select child_node_id, level
from node_relationships
connect by prior child_node_id = parent_node_id
start with parent_node_id=10
order by Hierarchy.Branch(level, ordinal)

Am I right in thinking that recursive procedures and procs returning row
sets would allow us to better emulate this behaviour? As anyone looked
at it yet?

Cheers,
Graeme