Testing strlcpy ()

From: "Strong, David" <david(dot)strong(at)unisys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Testing strlcpy ()
Date: 2006-09-29 17:06:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We've completed some tests comparing Postgres 8.2beta1 (beta1) and Postgres 8.2beta1 with strlcpy () (strlcpy).

First and foremost, the patch seems to be stable - we have not run into any issues with it.

After a database reload, there is an 11% difference between strlcpy and beta1 - strlcpy (107 TPS) performing ~11% better than beta1 (96 TPS). This seems to be consistent over a number of runs. Originally, we had only seen 3% difference here.

After 8 (or so) runs, the difference between the two versions disappears and both versions produce ~250 TPS. Both versions, over time, spend more and more time in LWLockAcquire.

David