structuring database for multilingual content

From: Isaac <Isaac(at)UNSTOPPABLE(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: structuring database for multilingual content
Date: 2000-11-03 16:09:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm working on a website that needs to be multilingual. It has a web-based
"document manager" so that non-technical staff may post/edit documents on
the site. There should be some sort of link between the english version and
other language versions, so that all get updated if there are changes, and
also for the sake of providing a quick link to the translation. One tricky
part is that not everything will be available in each language.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ever undertake such a thing, so I'm
wondering if there are any how-to's, books, faqs, etc. on this topic .....
or if anyone just has some general advice.

Currently my approach is to have a Documents table, with serialized ID
numbers, and parentID to maintain links from translations to the original
and vice-versa. But maybe there is a better and more flexible way someone
else has already thought of, perhaps maintaining the links in a separate
table?

Any advice would be appreciated!

--i