Re: BUG #16540: Possible corrupted file?

From: Paul Hatcher <paul(dot)hatcher(at)sentinelpartners(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16540: Possible corrupted file?
Date: 2020-07-14 14:53:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom

Many thanks for the feedback.

I did do an explain on both the 10second and the never ending. The actual structure of the plan was identical - there were a couple of very minor differences in costs and widths but we're talking cost of 200,000 vs 199,500 kind of differences.

Thanks

Paul Hatcher
Senior Consultant
Sentinel Partners Limited
W: sentinelpartners.co.uk
M: 07788 673898
T: 0800 612 2116

On 14/07/2020, 15:01, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> We had a situation where a query that normally ran in 10 seconds instead
> never completed. No conflicts or locks could be seen. All indexes were
> valid and in place. A full shutdown and restart of the server was done with
> no effect.
> To test we took a full backup of this system and restored to an identical
> alternate system. Having done this, the alternate system ran the query in
> 10 seconds.
> Final test was to backup and restore back into the production system -
> having done this the query returned to running in 10 seconds. Do you have
> any idea what could have caused this?

The most obvious theory is a change of query plan, perhaps due to having
up-to-date ANALYZE statistics in one case and not the other. I don't
suppose you captured EXPLAIN output for the non-working state?