Re: Don't know where to begin

From: Mark Cannata <markcann(at)mediaone(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Don't know where to begin
Date: 2000-09-13 00:52:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

on 9/12/00 9:58 AM, Oliver Elphick at olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Create a user `postgres' (or get your sysadmin to do it.)
>
> Become user postgres and run initdb; nothing else will work until that is
> done. initdb creates the basic database structure; read its man page to
> check what options you may need.
>
> If you can't make that work, post a copy of initdb's output so that we
> can see what the problem is.

When I run initdb I get the following message:
initdb does not know where to find the files that make up Postgres (the
PGLIB directory). You must identify the PGLIB directory either with a
--pglib invocation option or by setting the PGLIB environment variable, or
by having a program called 'postconfig' in your search path that outputs an
assignment for PGLIB.

I've read the man page. I guess I don't understand the syntax.

Thanks,
Mark