Re: Swapping on Solaris

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: "Kevin Schroeder" <kschroeder(at)mirageworks(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Swapping on Solaris
Date: 2005-01-19 17:36:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Jan 19, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Kevin Schroeder wrote:

> I may be asking the question the wrong way, but when I start up
> PostgreSQL swap is what gets used the most of. I've got 1282MB free
> RAM right now and and 515MB swap in use. Granted, swap file usage
> probably wouldn't be zero, but I would guess that it should be a lot
> lower so something must be keeping PostgreSQL from using the free RAM
> that my system is reporting. For example, one of my postgres
> processes is 201M in size but on 72M is resident in RAM. That extra
> 130M is available in RAM, according to top, but postgres isn't using
> it.

Can you please give us your exact shared_buffer and sort_mem settings?
This will help greatly. As a general thing, we say don't use more than
10k shared bufs unless you have done testing and enjoy a benefit.
Managing all those buffers isn't free.

I'm also not sure how Solaris reports shared memory usage for apps... a
lot of that could be shared mem.

Can you watch say, vmstat 1 for a minute or two while PG is running and
see if you're actually swapping?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/