Re: Tracking disk writes? (again)

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracking disk writes? (again)
Date: 2007-03-12 17:16:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mar 12, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Harald Armin Massa wrote:

> Erik,
>
> for solaris I think dtrace can be of help:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/
>
> PostgreSQL 8.2 introduced dtrace-ability.
>
> From what I read it is specifically created to do this kind of
> measurement.

Hmm... That would be a particulary heavy weight solution to what I
was hoping for. Basically, I'm looking to poll the db or "something"
to get either the total number of block or page writes done by the db
either ever or since my last reading. That way I can graph disk
writes over time and compare to the graphs I've already got for
transactions committed, transactios rolled back, disk blocks read
from disk, and disk blocks found in cache.

erik jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
sofware developer
615-296-0838
emma(r)