RE: Replace into...?

From: "Diehl, Jeffrey" <jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Replace into...?
Date: 2001-03-27 20:28:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

Replace into does an insert by default. If however, there is already a
record which would cause a unique index collision, then mysql does an update
on that record. I want to prevent my application from having to do all of
that bookkeeping.

Peter Eisentraut has suggested:
begin transaction;
update ...
<if zero rows>
insert ...
<endif>
commit;

This seems like a good way to go. He suggested that I write a PL/pgSQL
function to do the work. I really don't have time to climb the learning
curve on this so I might just write a perl module to do it, and a few other
things, for me.

Thanx for your help.

If there is AN EVEN EASIER way, please let me know.

Mike Diehl,
Network Monitoring Tool Devl.
284-3137
jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov