Re: statement caching proof of concept redux

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: statement caching proof of concept redux
Date: 2007-03-02 01:59:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

In June I posted this.

Since then we have some real results so I'd like to solicit ideas
from the group about implementing statement caching.

First and foremost it would be off by default and have to be
explicitly turned on. After that I'm wondering about parameters which
would affect resources. Would we want connection/database/driver
connection limits ? Do we do this by number of prepared statements ?
Overall memory consumption ? Then there is aging of cached
statements; any ideas on how to age them? Will they need to be
invalidated after so much time ?

Any and all ideas are welcome.

I will post definitive results shortly. I've been promised them for a
few days now.

Dave