Problem setting up new users

From: "Michael J(dot) Robinson" <robinson(at)neod(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem setting up new users
Date: 2005-05-05 20:17:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm having problems setting up postgres with new users. It is a new
install using 7.3..8 rpms. Use the following to create a new user.

create USER foo WITH PASSWORD 'secret';

When I try to login I get the following error:

[root(at)host postgressql]# psql template1 -U foo --password
Password:
psql: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "foo"

If anyone can help me with this, I would be greatful.

Thank you,

Michael J. Robinson
Northeast Ohio Digital Inc.
http://www.neod.net
robinson(at)neod(dot)net
330.830.6551
888.232.6363

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The materials attached hereto are confidential
and the property of the sender. The information contained in the
attached materials is privileged and/or confidential and is intended
only for the use of the above-named individual(s) or entity(ies). If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized
disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of the attached information is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
discard the information immediately.