Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases

From: Jeremiah Peschka <jeremiah(dot)peschka(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: k-neighbourhood search in databases
Date: 2011-04-10 22:54:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
Wow, custom solution for 2008 still much faster Denali 2011 solution.
> Also, what's about not spatial data types ?
> In our approach, we can provide knn for any datatype, which has GiST index
> and distance method.

There are a number of workarounds (custom data types, mainly) that can be done in SQL Server, but the spatial datatypes themselves are .NET datatypes that ship with SQL Server and I'm pretty sure the methods will only work with the spatial types. The other types are the usual primitives that we all know and love and won't respond to .NET method invocation in the database.

--
Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP