[pg 7.4 / Solaris 8] Could not bind socket for statistics collector

From: "Mounir Benzid" <m(dot)benzid(at)oraylis(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [pg 7.4 / Solaris 8] Could not bind socket for statistics collector
Date: 2003-11-28 20:14:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi I'm new to this list so say a quick "hello @all!"

Ok my question:

I did compile the official 7.4 sources for the solaris 8 platform and
compilation went right.
The problem occured after I started the postmaster process and
copied some data into the database using the COPY command:

waiting for postmaster to shut down...LOG: received smart shutdown
request
.LOG: shutting down
..LOG: database system is shut down
done
postmaster successfully shut down
LOG: could not bind socket for statistics collector: Cannot assign
requested address
LOG: database system was shut down at 2003-11-26 14:13:05 MET
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/B54CB8
LOG: redo record is at 0/B54CB8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 546; next OID: 27748
LOG: database system is ready

I read somewhere else that the solution is to
uncomment the ::1 entry in /etc/inet/ipnodes (::1 <=> ipv6 alias to
localhost).
I just did so, and it finally worked out.

But why and by what means??? What does it mean to uncomment
the localhost entry for ipv6 in /etc/inet/ipnodes ?

Shoudn't the database run without having to modify system's internal
properties?

Regards
Mounir