Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)
Date: 2011-02-02 03:13:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1 February 2011 03:52, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> You can reclaim that space by doing a cluster or vacuum full on the
> subject table.

Yes, but this is a fairly bad idea, particularly prior to PG 9.0 . 9.0
has a new vacuum full implementation that makes it not so bad - it
just rewrites the entire table.

VACUUM FULL will take exclusive locks on tables being vacuumed. It
also causes index bloat. You should be very careful about using it on
a production system.

I'm not sure why you'd advocate CLUSTER as a way to reclaim disk space.

I wouldn't increase index fill factor as an optimisation, unless you
had the unusual situation of having very static data in the table.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan