Re: PosttgreSQL on AIX

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ernesto Quiñones <ernestoq(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PosttgreSQL on AIX
Date: 2010-06-02 14:10:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Ernesto Quiñones <ernestoq(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> How  many concurrence can support a server with 4 PPC Power 6 and 16GB RAM??!!
>
> I was thinking install the load balancing in this machine but maybe I
> could run PostgreSQL in this machine without problems for my
> concurrence

For basic concurrency estimation you would need:
*) number of concurrent connections:
*) number of concurrent active users:
*) rough estimation of expected transactions per second
*) rough estimation of how much work (cpu, disk) for each user

300 users working at once can be handled from one server but is
getting close to where you should start thinking about a connection
pooler. The best (IMO) pooler is pgbouncer but it uses libevent which
does not list AIX under supported platforms
(http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent/).

Connection pooler is not a load balancer. A pooler reduces the number
of connections to the database making kernel configuration and dealing
with high load situations easier.

merlin