Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer

From: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer
Date: 2010-07-14 15:38:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi, I'm just working right now at Database Designer for pgAdmin with the
GSoC, and I want to create a table user interface that will be simple, easy
to use, and more keyboardless possible, right now my proposal is with two
designs that you can see at this image:

http://a.imageshack.us/img707/8048/tableinterface.png

Symbols explanation:

+ Add a Column or index

- Remove a Column or index, you click this simbol and then click the
column (Table should show in a very clear way that it's in delete mode, for
example by change in some way their border and writing below table in clear
red letters : TABLE IN DELETE COLUMN MODE or something like that), then user
confirm if delete or not column.

I-
-| Create Join Symbol, allow you to create a join relatioship between
two tables by dragging from this table (Fk source) to destination table, or
just click (just dragging is implemented right now) this symbol and then
click destination table and the join is created.

X Remove table

_ Hide all except table title

^ and v Hide and show below part of table.

* Not Null Column
o Null Column

F Foreign Key

U Unique Key

Key Image (primary Key)

Notes (Some are ideas, some are implemented yet):

- You can change column name just by double click at column, there you can
put your custom datatype by typing name : datatype or after you type just
name without ":" you can do right click and select datatype from popup menu

- You can add and remove columns, and create joins using a popup right click
menu too on a table.

Current state of designer can be follow by twitter:
Here is a little youtube video: http://is.gd/dnqA4

All ideas are welcome, and main idea of this post is to ask before code and
lost less time and effort possible

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Luis.