Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)

From: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)
Date: 2011-02-03 02:03:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you for the discussion.

I'm on Postgres 8.4, and the hardware between Slony master and slave
is identical,
as is the autovacuum config.

We do have transactions that fail to commit, transactions that roll back.

I'm glad to have some idea of the cause of the difference in table size
between Slony Master and Slave.

If disk usage on the Master goes over 75% before my upgrade money
is approved, I will try Bill Moran's suggestion of doing a practice vacuum
run on the Slave, and then we'll take a maintenance window to VACUUM,
VACUUM FULL, REINDEX; or CLUSTER on the master.

THANK YOU! This is a super-helpful list. I really appreciate the positive
energy in the PostgreSQL community. I'm looking forward to helping out
at the PostgresSQL booth at the So Cal Linux Expo later this month.

Thank you!
Aleksey