Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2010-10-06 02:28:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> The reason why I think this is semi-important and not just cosmetic is
> that (for some reason that is not entirely clear to me) clients
> connecting to localhost end up appearing to the server as ::1 on a lot
> of machines I use which are not otherwise keen on IPv6, and it is a
> common mistake to forget to keep the pg_hba.conf entries for 127.0.0.1
> and ::1 in sync.

This is exactly what I am seeing here. However contrary to your case the
patch makes it even worse on my side. With the patch compiled in and a
pg_hba.conf entry of "localhost", I cannot connect anymore to "-h
localhost", I get "no pg_hba.conf entry for host ::1".

This is mostly standard Ubuntu setup.

Joachim