Re: Fix for Index Advisor related hooks

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for Index Advisor related hooks
Date: 2011-02-16 14:15:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Also attached is the patch expose_IndexSupportInitialize.patch, that
> makes
> > the static function IndexSupportInitialize() global so that the Index
> > Advisor doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to prepare an index structure
> > with opfamilies and opclasses.
>
> We are *not* doing that. That's a private function and will remain so.

I understand that we need to hide guts of an implementation. But without
this the Index Advisor will have to emulate what LookupOpclassInfo() does
and that's a lot of code that I am afraid, if emulated by another function
in Index Advisor, is more prone to obsolecence than calling
IndexSupportInitialize().

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device