Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature

From: Ben Carbery <ben(dot)carbery(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature
Date: 2010-12-30 06:24:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the responses all, I have this working now. I had to create a
base backup before copying to the standby for replication to start, but the
main sticking point was actually understanding the terms and concepts
involved..

I think the Binary Replication Tutorial page on the wiki basically explains
everything. Unfortunately the actual pg manual is still about as clear as
mud even though I now have a vague idea of how this all works. I think this
is worth mentioning given the majority of the pg manual is actually of an
unusually high standard - probably among the best technical manuals I have
read in terms of being both comprehensive and concise, so it's a shame that
this section doesn't meet that standard (IMO). Hopefully this will get a
rewrite at some point!

cheers,

Ben