Re: where does postgres keep the query result until it is returned?

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: where does postgres keep the query result until it is returned?
Date: 2010-09-17 14:51:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> If the question was about the final query result sent to the client:
yes

> we don't spill that to disk, nor "hold" it anywhere.  The backend
> sends it to the client on-the-fly as each row is generated.
thanks, i didn't know that.
I asked because i have a function that produces a result in xml.
that is one row, one value even, but it grows pretty large.
how is that handled?

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all
others because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw