Re: First patch proposal

From: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alastair Turner <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First patch proposal
Date: 2010-10-14 14:32:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/10/14 Alastair Turner <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za>:
> I am proposing altering psql to raise certain errors and exit before
> prompting for a password. These errors would have to be on items which
> didn't leak any information, my current list is:
>  - Does the input file (-f) exist and is it readable
>  - Do paths to the output files ( -o and -l) exist and are they writable
>  - Is the host/socket listening (-h)
>
> This is obviously scratching an itch of my own - I end up capturing
> passwords and then getting errors from mistyped input files on a
> regular basis. I don't think that I'm the only person to have the
> problem though (at least I hope not).
>
> Does this sound like a sane, desirable set of changes?

I think yes. Just for information, did you pick this topic from TODO
list? If so, could you attach links to the entry or to some related
former thread? And in general it is encouraged that you'd better send
one feature per a patch, in order for it to be reviewed and committed
easily, rather than going all the three you mentioned above.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada