Re: Review: Extensions Patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review: Extensions Patch
Date: 2010-12-08 17:06:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> I think this so-called two-step approach is pretty ugly.
>
> Well it does not need to be exposed to the user, thinking about it, as
> proposed in the other thread. Other than that, you're argument here is
> exactly the same as the ones saying that VACUUM or Hint Bints are
> bad. It's just that if you want correctness, you don't have anything
> better.

Exposing it to the user is what I think is ugly.

It's also worth noting that ALTER EXTENSION .. SET SCHEMA does NOT
guarantee a correct relocation, because someone might have done ALTER
FUNCTION .. SET search_path = @extschema@, and that's not going to get
properly fixed up. I'm coming to the conclusion more and more that
ALTER EXTENSION .. SET SCHEMA just can't work reliably.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company