Re: Synchronization levels in SR

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronization levels in SR
Date: 2010-05-25 04:50:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> At the first design phase, I'd like to clarify which synch levels
> should be supported 9.1 and how it should be specified by users.

There is another question about synch level:

    When should the master wait for replication?

In my current design, the backend waits for replication only at
the end of the transaction commit. Is this enough? Is there other
waiting point?

For example, smart or fast shutdown on the master should wait
for a shutdown checkpoint record to be replicated to the standby
(btw, in 9.0, shutdown waits for checkpoint record to be *sent*)?
pg_switch_xlog() needs to wait for all of original WAL file to
be replicated?

I'm not sure if the above two "waits-for-replication" have use
cases, so I'm thinking they are not worth implementing, but..

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center