Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs
Date: 2010-08-01 20:40:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 14:02, Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net> wrote:

> (Whether Postgress 9's internal replication will solve this for me when it
> is released is something I'm not sure about - I think the answer is "no",
> since if I'm reading the docs correctly Postgres 9 requires that both master
> and slave be in sync via some other method before the replication is enabled

Not only that, but you cant sync certain tables or databases.
However, I have had great success with a simple:
select pg_start_backup();
... rsync database dir to slave, fixup postgresql.conf,recovery.conf
select pg_stop_backup();

That lets you "sync" up the slave with 0 downtime. (the io from rsync
can be a problem tho)