Re: Why so many buildfarm errors with contacting "git.postgresql.org"?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Subject: Re: Why so many buildfarm errors with contacting "git.postgresql.org"?
Date: 2010-12-09 22:44:21
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 00:06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I've noticed that the frequency of nonrepeating fetch failures in the
> buildfarm seems to be a lot higher with git than it ever was with cvs.
>
> A typical example is today at:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=sloth&dt=2010-12-07%2018%3A30%3A01
>
> fatal: Unable to look up git.postgresql.org (port 9418) (Temporary failure in name resolution)
>
> and similarly two days ago:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=colugos&dt=2010-12-05%2021%3A05%3A56
>
> 11 days ago:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=coypu&dt=2010-11-26%2021%3A05%3A02
>
> 28 days ago:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=mongoose&dt=2010-11-09%2011%3A45%3A01
>
> 45 days ago:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=polecat&dt=2010-10-23%2018%3A49%3A59
>
> That's just name resolution failures; there are a similar number of
> Git-stage failures due to connection timeouts.  The problem appears
> to be getting worse with time :-(
>
> Is there any difference between the network connectivity of
> git.postgresql.org and the old anoncvs server?

Yes, they are in completely different datacenters.

I had a discussoin with Stefan a couple of days ago about this, and
the current estimate is that we're simply hitting the bandwidth limit
of where it is now, because it now takes so much more traffic. We have
some space on another machine that we can move the VM to, so we'll be
looking at doing that when things have calmed down a bit after getting
back from PGDay.EU. This will cause some short downtime as DNS
switches over, so we'll post a note on exactly when we plan to do it,
once it's planned.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/