Re: Monitoring activities of PostgreSQL

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Allan Kamau <kamauallan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Monitoring activities of PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-06-16 14:14:01
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/6/15 Allan Kamau <kamauallan(at)gmail(dot)com>

> I do have a PL/SQL function that gets executed called many times but
> with different parameter values each of these times. For most
> invocations of this function run in a couple of seconds however some
> invocations of the same function run (on the same dataset) for hours
> with very little disk activity but high CPU.
>

> How can I monitor the actual DB activities during such times so I may
> better understand what the situation truly is.

You can monitor system parameters (CPU, disk IO, memory) with standard
OS-specific tools (on Unix: top, ps iostat,vmstat)

I have seen some users
> on this list posting some complex log/outputs, this are the kind of
> outputs I would like to capture and view. Where are they?

they are mostly in log files or output from EXPLAIN ANALYZE command

for general info see

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-logging.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/using-explain.html
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization