Re: proposal: tuplestore, tuplesort aggregate functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: tuplestore, tuplesort aggregate functions
Date: 2010-08-19 20:09:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> As to median, please make sure you say in detail which median you're
> using and name it so, as there is no single, authoritative median.

You've made this assertion at least three times now, but I confess
that I've only ever learned one way to compute a median; and quick
Google searches for "median", "kinds of median", and few other
variants failed to turn up anything obvious either. It seems to me
that if median is good enough for Oracle, Sybase, Excel, and the nun
who taught my fifth-grade elementary school class, it ought to be good
enough for us, too. (Don't mess with Sr. Catherine!)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company