Re: PANIC killing vacuum process

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Silvio Brandani <silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PANIC killing vacuum process
Date: 2010-11-03 17:14:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Silvio Brandani
<silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it> wrote:

> Alls,
>
> we have develop a script to execute the vacuum full on all tables of our

Vacuum full is more of a recovery / offline command and is to be used
sparingly, especially before 9.0.

> very big database , since it is a 24 x 7 available system we have not a
> timeframe to exec the vacuum full.

Is there a reason you're avoiding autovacuum and tuning it to keep up?
It's usually the better option.

> PostgreSQL 8.3.1 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu

Is there a good reason for avoiding about two years of updates
(8.3.latest has a lot of bug fixes.)