Limiting the size of log files

From: Amit Soni <get(dot)amitsoni(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Limiting the size of log files
Date: 2010-08-18 07:52:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,
I want to limit the size of the log files since it's going into GB's. I used
the option "log_rotation_size = 1024" but the size went much ahead the
specified 1MB. The detailed configuration of the postgresql.conf file is as
follows:

log_destination = 'stderr'
logging_collector = on
log_directory = 'pg_log'
log_filename = 'postgresql.log'
log_rotation_age = 0
log_rotation_size = 1024
log_min_error_statement = debug5
log_min_duration_statement = 0

All the other flags related to the "ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING" are
commented. In-spite of this configuration (which I think is correct) the log
size goes beyond 1MB. Could there be some kind of combination of flags that
I am missing. Also following details might be helpful in debugging:

postgres=# select name, setting from pg_settings where name ~ '^log_';
name | setting
-----------------------------+----------------
log_autovacuum_min_duration | -1
log_checkpoints | off