Re: Github commit messages to pgsql-www

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "w^3" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Github commit messages to pgsql-www
Date: 2011-01-26 14:22:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 15:14, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mar ene 25 16:55:20 -0300 2011:
>> What do we want to do with them...
>>
>> Andrew has set it up for the bulidfarm client code, and it does work,
>> except they get caught in the moderator queue - becuase they are sent
>> from noreply(at)github(dot)com(dot) The way I see it we have a couple of options
>> for making this work:
>>
>> 1) Whiltelist noreply(at)github(dot)com(dot) We have no way of controlling this
>> though, so *anybody* with a github repo can have it sent there, and
>> they all come from the same address. I don't think we can whitelist on
>> the combination of email and some part of the email,thus filtering
>> based on repo.
>>
>> 2) Just moderate the commit messages as they show up.
>
> As a pgsql-committers moderator I am not happy with #2.  It would be a
> lot better if we could somehow do #1 coupled with some filtering that
> only allows selected projects to go through unmoderated.  However, I
> spent some time looking at Mj2 settings yesterday without success.

Yeah, I doubt that's actually workable :(

> Could we do #3 but instead of moving the primary to git.pg.org just have
> a hook or cron'ed task that pushes from github (or pulls from it)?

Sure, you can do something like that, but it has the same basic
"scalability problem" - all the repos need to be created and
maintained on git.postgresql.org.

Plus it requires a push hook at github (because the mail scripts fire
on receive, so it needs to be a push), which I don't think they
support.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/