Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page
Date: 2011-01-26 14:21:26
Lists: pgsql-www

2011/1/21 Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:15, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> I have just learned that EnterpriseDB provides both platform-specific
>> binaries and platform-specific zip/tar files, which are hosted here:
>>
>>        http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload
>>
>> We link to that page from our Windows download page:
>>
>>        http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
>>
>>        Advanced users can also download a zip archive of the binaries,
>>        without the installer.
>>
>> but not from any of the other platform web page, like Linux:
>>
>>        http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
>>
>> That seems inconsistent, and I had to help someone yesterday who was
>> looking for the Linux tar file.
>>
>> Should we make a change to have these be more consistent?
>
> I guess we could. Did you run across this by accident, or did somebody
> actually ask you? I havent' heard a single person *ever* ask for
> binaries-no-installer for Linux - given that you already have the
> choice of a proper platform package, or a gui installer, or source
> (which is much easier to work with on Linux than on Windows, making it
> a much more reasonable option)
>
> There are already painfully many options on that download page...

Yes, it is several times that we face issues from end-users about our
different download pages/options/links.
May we consider reworking this area of the website for 9.1 ?
I am in favor of a much simpler download section.

For ex:
* Download latest stable sources 9.0.2 : Windows - linux - Mac <--
direct link to tar (yes THE DIRECT link, not after XX clicks)
* Download latest stable binaries 9.0.2 : Windows - linux - Mac <--
linux should link the user to the section with the XX different
distribution and such, including EDB probably, windows to the page (in
.org) explaining that windows binaries are available under the EDB
banner at http:/ ...., mac .. to ... ahem

* Download other stables branches : 8.4 8.3 ...