Re: Question about switchover with PG9 replication

From: Jean-Armel Luce <jaluce06(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>
Cc: Cyril Scetbon <cyril(dot)scetbon(at)free(dot)fr>, "Wouter D'Haeseleer" <wdh(at)vasco(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about switchover with PG9 replication
Date: 2011-03-06 10:09:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Thanks for all your answers.

I have read that the cascaded replication will be probably available in
future releases (cf.
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication#Synchronization_capabilityat
the bottom of the page)

As I understand the streaming replication, we are able to have multiple
standbys (and only one master of course), and in case of a failover happens
(or in case of a switchover is required), one of the standbys will be
promoted as the new master.

With asynchronous replication, I understand that the DBA is able to choose
which standby will become the new master (using the trigger file), and must
apply the procedure of switchover for streaming replication as described in
chapter "How to use" in
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication#Synchronization_capability,
including the copy of a backup from the new master to the other standby's
(step 6 in the procedure of switchover). Is it right ?

With synchronous replication (PG9.1), I understand that, during a failover
or a switchover, the server which will be promoted as the new master must be
the standby which has been sync'ed the most recently, or the one which has
been set with the highest priority in the configuration file. Is it right ?

For future releases, I read that :
- a new feature will allow transfers of base backup via the direct
connection between the primary and the standby.
- a new feature will provide the capability to check the progress and gap of
streaming replication via one query. A collaboration of HS and SR is
necessary to provide that capability on the standby side.

Does that mean that the process for restarting the replication after a
switchower or a failover will still require to copy a backup from the new
master to the other standbys, for synchronous replication and for
asynchronous replication ? Or can we expect that we shall be able to restart
the replication after a switchover by setting the location of the xlog of
the new master on the old master (and other standby's), so there is a
possibility that copy of backup from the new master to standby will not be
required ?