Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-14 12:40:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 13:37, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/10/2011 11:34 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> It seems we may have a problem to consider. As far as I know, we are the
>> only major platform that supports libedit but our default is readline.
>> Unfortunately readline is not compatible with OpenSSL (apparently?)
>> licensing.
>
> Anybody realized that this Debian bug (and several others) got closed in
> the mean time (Sunday)?  According to the changelog [1], Martin Pitt
> (which I'm CC'ing here, as he might not be aware of this thread, yet)
> worked around this issue by pre-loading readline via LD_PRELOAD for psql.
>
> Personally, I'm a bit suspicious about that solution (technically as
> well as from a licensing perspective), but it's probably the simplest
> way to let only psql link against readline.

That is a rather ugly workaround, but if it works and actually fixes
the license considerations, then it's at least better than nothing at
all.

Not sure it's a reason not to have our own packaging (mainly because
we could provide the version compatibility mix), but it would
certainly reduce the urgency.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/