Re: advice on query joining 10 tables

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gerardo Herzig <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: advice on query joining 10 tables
Date: 2010-05-10 20:37:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Gerardo Herzig <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar> wrote:
> Hi all. Im triyng to see if i can improve the performance of a query
> (mainly a 10 table join)
>
> 1) Besides of triyng to use indexes, there is some rules of thumb to follow?

log long running queries for later analysis?

> 2) Should i try to join the bigger tables last in the query?

The query planner can do that for you automatically.

> 3) There is some place for understanding EXPLAIN better?

http://explain.depesz.com/

Here and the docs? I've found it pretty easy to post one here and ask
for help and get it on why a query isn't running well. Note that
explain analyze is much preferred to plain explain.