Re: Replication

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication
Date: 2010-11-02 13:21:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt(at)abpni(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> So in the "Hot Standby" setup as described in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/hot-standby.html , how would I
> automatically make the slave a master?

If you plan to make it automatic, be absolutely 1000000% sure that
your automated criteria for doing the switchover is really 1000000%
accurate, else you may end up switching when you didn't really want to
for some temporary failure condition. I've never been able to define
something that perfect so we still only ever do manual switchovers.

Based on your questions, you perhaps should be seeking the advice of a
paid consultant expert in such matters if you really value your data.